From: David A. Horita (dhorita_at_wfubmc.edu)
Date: Thu May 12 2011 - 16:51:39 CDT

I ran into this problem in 2008 with some modified CHARMM files - 4 characters works for atom names from a VMD perspective, but the newer charmm rules allow up to 8 characters. The CG2R51 is causing the problem. It's the A8, not the G14.6.

John might be able to dig out some communication with me and Alex MacKerell about this from 2008-

CHARMM is currently being modified to accept 8 characters, which will be the standard into the future. That's why I've gotten in touch with you to insure that NAMD/VMD can handle 8 characters. Youngdo Won and Bernie Brooks are the ones doing the modification. I'm ccing this to them so they can comment if necessary.

thanks, alex

John Stone wrote:
> Hi,
> I think the root of the problem here is that the CHARMM PSF format
> uses integer indices for the atom type field, and psfgen and NAMD use
> the X-PLOR scheme of using that field as an atom type string.
> The CHARMM PSF formats only allow 4 characters for the atom type,
> which is fine if you use an integer index as they use in their Fortran
> format string, but that's insufficient for the actual atom type
> string. The CHARMM EXTended PSF format is (if CMAP,CHEQ are also included):
> '(I10,1X,A8,1X,A8,1X,A8,1X,A8,1X,I4,1X,2G14.6,I8,2G14.6)'
>
> The PSF file you sent illustrates this problem clearly.
> Note that the columns are shifting, which should never occur given
> that all existing variants of the PSF format uses fixed field widths:
> 24 !NATOM
> 1 O1 124 INI1 C1 CC3161 0.140000 12.0110 0
> 2 O1 124 INI1 H1 HCA1 0.090000 1.0080 0
> 3 O1 124 INI1 O1 OC311 -0.650000 15.9994 0
> 4 O1 124 INI1 HO1 HCP1 0.420000 1.0080 0
> 5 O1 124 INI1 C5 CC3161 0.140000 12.0110 0
> 6 O1 124 INI1 H5 HCA1 0.090000 1.0080 0
>
> There's no existing PSF variant that I'm aware of that will accept
> more than 4 characters for the atom type info, so we will either need
> to create a NAMD-specific variation that eliminates these fixed field
> width issues entirely, or adopt a new file format instead of
> continuing to (ab)use the PSF format.

Regards,

David
David A. Horita, Ph.D.
Department of Biochemistry
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1016
Tel: 336 713-4194
Fax: 336 716-7671
email: dhorita_at_wfubmc.edu<mailto:dhorita_at_wfubmc.edu>
web: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/biochem/faculty/Horita.htm>