From: sjcav_at_aros.net
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 01:26:26 CDT

Hello VMD folks:

        I'm running on an old computer, a Gateway 2000 Pentium 75 with Windows 95
(v. 4.00.950); it has an Anykey keyboard which has the ability to program
macros from the keyboard. Well anyway, while I was booting it up I
stupidly pressed the Suspend Macro key and turned off the Program light,
but I should've waited until the boot was finished. Now when I start most
programs things are fine, but not with VMD and also not with some Microsoft
Office shortcut. Unfortunately I don't know what happened or what files
were affected by pressing this key during the boot. The VMD symptoms are
(1) the colors are not shown properly in the initial VMD twirling letters
on the display screen or with molecules loaded (everything's dark, can't
see blue), and (2) the VMD console has this error message:

ERROR) Could not read the vmd initialization file -
ERROR) $env(VMDIR)/scripts/vmd/vmdinit.tcl
ERROR) Couldn't find an appropriate visual
ERROR) The VMDDIR environment variable is defined in the vmd startup script
and
ERROR) should point to the top of the VMD hierarchy. VMD will continue with
limited functionality.

        Can anyone please give me a suggestion on what file I need to reload or
setting I need to change to get VMD to work properly again? Re-installing
VMD didn't help.

        Although not a VMD matter, I suspect that the cause of this recent VMD woe
is the same as the cause of the following error message displayed in a
window titled "Problem with Shortcut" when I'm at the end of the boot process:

The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Microsoft Office Find
Fast.lnk' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly
inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.

(I click on the OK button to close this window, and then it appears again,
and then again a third time, and then it doesn't return.)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
James Cavenaugh