From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 16:56:00 CDT

My advice is to avoid linking C++ to VMD if at all possible. That why
psfgen and pmepot are written in C. In any case, you don't necessarily
want your code directly linked to VMD anyway.

I would suggest leaving your program as a separate binary and writing a
wrapper in Tcl that uses VMD commands to generate input files, run your
program (possibly in the background), reads the input files, and uses that
data to alter the molecular representation. You should take the APBS and
NAMDEnergy plugins as examples and copy their design.

-Jim