From: Frederick Sachs (sachs_at_buffalo.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 13:47:11 CST

We have been trying to make 3D surface model of molecules using our 3Dd
printer, but the VMD renderer resolution, while fine for the normal
display, is not fine enough to create molecules without gaps that will
not pass the printer software. We can make about 1" ^3 models since the
print width of the printer is 0.011" and the rendering is adequate to
avoid gaps.

We would like to make bigger models, say up to 10"^3 so we need the
model to be rendered to a resolution > 1:1000. Is there a way for VMD to
do this and to transfer the data to an STL file?

--
*Dr. Frederick Sachs*
*Center for Single Molecule Biophysics*

"The secret to eternal youth is arrested development."
"Gravity cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Einstein
"What counts can't always be counted; what can be counted doesn't always
count." Einstein