From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 14:02:24 CDT

Hi Jeff,
  While the response time of LCDs has improved markedly, another
barrier to their use with commonly available stereo glasses has been
the fact that both the LCD panels and both active LCD shutter glasses
and passive polarized glasses rely on the use of polarization of
light as the means of modulating brightness and filtering left/right
eye images. As a result, they usually conflict and don't work together
without the addition of extra optics (see below).

There a number of autostereoscopic displays that use the combination
of a high-resolution LCD panel with a parallax barrier to create a
stereo image when the observer's head is positioned in the correct
viewing orientation. I've also seen stereo displays using two
LCD panels in combination with phase plates, mirrors, and beam splitters
to create a high resolution stereo image with passive polarized glasses.

If there's a way of using a standard off-the-shelf LCD panel to create
stereo-in-a-window without any of the auxilliary optics, just using the
common active LCD shutter glasses, or passive polarized glasses, I haven't
heard about it yet.