From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 19:39:47 CDT

Hi,
  Since several people mentioned they wanted to start trying out the
new DNA representation, I've built an alpha test version of VMD 1.8.5
and made it available via BioCoRE for those that want to try it out.
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

The new version inludes:
  - New DNA/nucleic acid nucleotide cylinders code enabled in
    the "NewCartoon" representation (needs more testing, and doesn't handle
    various unusual residues yet) Feel free to try it out and send me
    feedback if you're working with nucleic acids regularly...

  - Updates fixes and improvements for the paratool, namdgui, autopsf,
    namdenergy, cliptool, colorscalebar, and volmap plugins

  - New 'namdserver' and 'optimization' plugins which help paratool

  - Updated dlpoly reader plugin

  - New picking callback for user-defined graphics

  - Ribbon width modulation-by-user-field hack can be turned on by setting
    the VMDMODULATERIBBON environment variable to 1