From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2006 - 12:16:30 CDT

Dear Margaret,
you can do this by using the VMD matrix routines, documented at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node172.html.

For example, for your case, if the long axis of your molecule is along
the vector {a b c}, you can rotate it to align it with the z axis as
follows:

set sel [atomselect top all]
set M [transvecinv {a b c}]
$sel move $M
set M [transaxis y -90]
$sel move $M

This performs your task in two steps: transvec inv rotates your vector
to be along the x axis, and then transaxis rotates about the y axis to
align your vector with z.

Hopefully this will work for you.
Best,
Peter