From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 22:57:32 CDT

Hi,
  You'll want to read through the NAMD tutorial section
about topology files, as it describes the purpose of patches
for the the terminal residues:
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/namd/namd-tutorial-html/node21.html

I don't know the answer regarding charged states, you'll have to ask
Jim Phillips about that, (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu) as he wrote the psfgen.