From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2006 - 10:13:58 CST

Ioana,
  Just to be clear, does your selection text max out in a VMD GUI window
input field somewhere, or is this happening from a Tcl or Python script?
I'd try something like this if you're having troubles otherwise:

atomselect macro hugesel { \
 ((nucleic or resname RA5 or resname RA3) or (protein and same residue as \
  within 2 of (protein and resid 11 23 35 47 59 71 83)) or ((resname SPM and \
  same residue as within 2 of (nucleic or resname RA5 or resname RA3)) and \
  (resname SPM and same residue as within 3 of (protein and same residue as \
  within 2 of (protein and resid 11 23 35 47 59 71 83))))) \
}

Once youv'e got a macro defined, you can use that in the GUI windows
and in your scripts like this:
  set sel [atomselect top "hugesel"]

Try that and let me know if you still have any trouble.