From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 13:30:59 CST

Bogdan,
  Ah, now I understand the point you were making. As a means of testing
the builds on multiple distros, something like VMWare or xen etc is probably
a huge help. I'd just need to have time to setup all of the client OS
installations under the hypervisor OS (whether VMWare or whatever).
One thing that's kept me away from doing much with VMWare and similar
systems is that there's no support for OpenGL, so the best tests I'd likely
be able to do would be running scripts and checking for correct functioning
of the core VMD code. If I have time to install a test box I might give
that a spin and see how it does. Not all linux distros work within these
hypervisor VM setups from what I've heard, so that might also be an
interesting challenge all on its own. If anyone has such a VMWare or
xen setup running with 5 or 6 client Linux distros, I'd be curious to
hear your experiences.

Regarding source RPMs. One of the problems I'd have in doing something
that automated is that I've had to manually patch various bugs in FLTK,
Tcl, Tk, Python, etc so that they build correctly on some of the target
platforms. While my builds work, sometimes the standard distributions
of these libraries do not, at least not without patches, and so just having
a particular version requirement for FLTK/Tcl/Tk/Python may not be enough to
have a stable VMD build. Is there a nice way to have a patch get applied
to a required SRPM before it gets installed?