From: Karsten Suhre (karsten.suhre_at_igs.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 02:02:33 CST

Dear Jindal,

> We are planning to buy new computers and want to make sure that VMD with
> latest features would run properly. The card of choice is:
>
> 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X600 SE HyperMemory
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this graphics card?

I have no experience with this card - but I would like to make a remark on
your objective "make sure that VMD with latest features " :

There is one feature (that is actually present since quite a time, and not
only limitted to VMD) and that I like *a lot* which is quad buffered stereo.
The equipment is quite expensive (i.e. the stereo glasses), but if you look
often at proteins in 3D it really adds a new dimension to experiencing vmd
graphics and working with PDB files. So if I you had the option, I would
always invest in priority into a graphics card with stereo glasses.
Personally, I have good experience with NVIDIA Quadro boards.

Kind regards,

Karsten.