From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 10 2005 - 10:08:13 CDT

Hi,
  Under normal circumstances there's no need for anyone to recompile
VMD from source code. The documentation does suppose a significant degree
of prior experience, and in the case of Windows it's trickier than on the
other platforms as we use the "cygwin" 'make' and related tools to drive
the windows plugin builds so that we only have to maintain a single makefile
for all platforms. This is convenient for us, but not so easy for other
people. If you're writing your own plugin, I'd be happy to help you get
going on this. What compilers are you using there?