From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 13:22:07 CDT

Hi,
  The only way (in VMD 1.8.3) to clip an isosurface is to use the
6 user-defined clipping planes, either with the help of the clipping
plane tool found in:
  Extensions->Visualization->Clipping Plane Tool
or with the use of the 'mol clipplane' commands.

You could also cut down your density map using one of the many
map processing tools out there, as VMD 1.8.3 doesn't do that.
If I find a free afternoon to do the work, it shouldn't be too hard
to add a few more map processing features to VMD 1.8.4 before release.