From: Dow Hurst DPHURST (dphurst_at_uncg.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 13:10:51 CDT

Joe,
Just upgrade your Nvidia driver to the latest. Make sure you can be root
on your machine.

1. Download latest Nvidia driver. Check your card is supported.

2. Make sure kernel source is installed for RHEL4

3. Edit /etc/inittab and make the default runlevel 3 instead of 5

4. Shutdown X by issuing init 3 in a shell as root.

5. Run the Nvidia installer, here is an example:

sh /usr/share/doc/nvidia/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7664-pkg1.run

and answer the prompts to compile a new nvidia kernel interface and install
it.

6. Once that is done then test by using startx. If you get X running then
you can undo the edit in /etc/inittab back to runlevel 5.

7. You'll need to repeat this anytime you upgrade the kernel since the
RHEL4 probably won't have your downloaded driver integrated.

Maybe someone could post a link from Redhat about where the downloaded
driver should go to be integrated into kudzu's stuff. Hope this helps,
Dow

__________________________________
Dow P. Hurst, Research Scientist
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
435 New Science Bldg.
Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
dphurst_at_uncg.edu
Dow.Hurst_at_mindspring.com