From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 11:13:08 CDT

Joe,
  I'm glad things are working after you updated the NVidia driver.

The hardware stereo is just a driver setting in the X11 config file.
This is documented in the NVidia README files, there's a stereo mode
option which is off by default, you just need to turn it on. Once enabled,
you'll need to use "setenv VMDPREFERSTEREO 1" before you run VMD to tell
it that you'd rather have stereo than antialiasing, since all of the
NVidia cards I've tested to date did only one or the other but not both
at the same time.