From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 12:58:50 CDT

Hi,
  Are you just interested in counting close contacts between lipids and
proteins characterized by their Z coordinate? If so, you should be able to
calculate something like this using a combination of the "within" atom
selection and something like "z > 5 and z < 6", or by doing the within,
and binning the results according to their Z coordinates. (i.e. select
all protein atoms within a given distance of the lipids, then from the
resulting selected protein atoms, add each atom to an appropriate Z
coordinate bin)
It'll take a bit of scripting, but one of these variations ought to get you
started. Perhaps someone else has already done something like this?