From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 17:42:27 CDT

Hi,
  If you're generating images in batch from VMD, the "Tachyon",
or (optional, not in all versions) "TachyonInternal" renderers should
always work. The "Snapshot" renderer will only work when there's an
active OpenGL display. If you have a particular script in mind, let us
have a look and we should be able to help. You might also find it helpful
to examine the VMD movie maker plugin script source code, since it generates
image frames in various formats in a completely batch mode like you're asking
about.