From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 02:30:27 CDT

Dallas,
  In your specific case with those ATI drivers, I think we had
actually narrowed down the problem to something involving the
OpenGL initialization, where VMD acquires an X11 window and gets
a GLX context supporting various features. I think the problem with
the ATI driver was something about that initial setup. If so, we can
probably figure out what it actually is with just a bit more testing.
Once I know what's killing you on that ATI card, I may be able to
add a workaround specifically to avoid your problem, without giving
up any of the other features. I won't have time to do this for a few
days, but sometime around May 20 or so I think I can delve into this
deeper if you're game for trying a bunch of VMD binaries for me :-)