From: Florian Haberl (Florian.Haberl_at_chemie.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 07:31:37 CST

Hi,

i want to install and use vmd with ied python script.

My problem is we got here python 2.3 installed, and this is not working with
vmd, so i compiled python2.2 and numpy.

My setenv
PYTHONHOME=~/vmd/python/bin/
PYTHONPATH=~/vmd/numpy/lib/python2.2/site-packages/

so vmd should have my python paths (of version 2.2)

than I compiled vmd with LINUX OPENGL FLTK TK TCL PYTHON PTHREADS NUMPY as
options.

in my .vmdrc
set env(PYTHONHOME) /work/vmd/python/bin/
set env(PYTHONPATH) /work/vmd/numpy

in vmd console: gopython -v

Info) Starting Python...
Numeric Python module _numpy not found; vmdnumpy module not available.
ImportError: No module named _numpy
Info) Text interpreter now Python
ERROR) Error opening file '-v'
Info) Text interpreter now Tcl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named Tkinter

So this is version 2.3 but why does it get loaded?

vmd > /work/python2.2/bin/python -v
'import site' failed; traceback:
ImportError: No module named site
Python 2.2.3 (#2, Jan 11 2005, 12:36:10)
[GCC 3.3.1 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2

this works, but i read in the mailing list, that if i start python like this
i^m not able to load ied module, i have to use gopython ...
But this will start 2.3 and not 2.2

Where is my mistake?

Greetings,

Florian

 Florian Haberl                            Universitaet Erlangen/
 Computer-Chemie-Centrum    Nuernberg
                                                      Naegelsbachstr. 25
                                                      D-91052 Erlangen
  Mailto: florian.haberl AT chemie.uni-erlangen.de