From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 11:14:26 CST

Hi,
  The problem you describe sounds like an out-of-date XFree86
configuration file. If you read the NVidia driver installation
instructions carefully, they detail a couple of steps where you must
modify the XFree86 configuration file to remove some lines that are
place there by default, replacing them with lines for the NVidia driver.
If you forgot to do this, it would cause the problems you describe.
Double-check the NVidia installation instructions for the specifics.