From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 00:43:56 CST

> Hi
>
> It still does not work :-(
>
> I tried now to download the IRIX6.x OPENGL version of 1.3a2 and I have
> the same problem. The problem exsists om my three OCTANES with SI or SSI
> graogics which does not support stereo in a window, and is exsists also
> om a older R8000 Indigo^2 with Extreme graphics.

Interesting, so the older Indigo2's with Extreme graphics aren't even
capable of doing stereo-in-a-window 'eh? This is not good...
Maybe you can help me get this fixed before the final release of
VMD 1.3 ...

Its going to require special code in the SGI builds of VMD, and since
I do not have access to a machine that is incapable of stereo-in-a-window
type display, you're probably going to have to test the code for me.

The old GL version of VMD enabled and disabled stereo through the use
of an external program. This external program doesn't work on any of
the newer machines. (I've had numerous complaints about that too BTW...)

In order to support the older machines like the Indigo2 Extreme, I'm going
to have to write my own code to flip the display mode.

If you're willing to run lots of tests, I could work with you on getting
this going. Its an SGI-specific X server extension and its really ugly
to have to do it this way, but I guess its a necessary evil if there
are recently manufactured machines (i.e. octane) out there that are entirely
incapable of stereo-in-a-window...

Let me know if you're interested.

Theoretical Biophysics Group   Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute              http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/
University of Illinois         Phone:  (217) 244-3349
405 N. Mathews  Ave              FAX:  (217) 244-6078
Urbana, IL 61801, USA          Unix Is Good For You!!!