From: root (root_at_liposome.genebee.msu.su)
Date: Mon Dec 29 1997 - 09:19:31 CST

I gather "Thus, new structures may be loaded into VMD through connection
to a running simulation, instead of being read from a file. Once loaded,
however, a structure obtained from a network connection is treated in the
same manner as if read from disk." lines (J. Mol. Graphics, 1996, Vol 14,
February, p. 34) do not forebode well to an attempt to connect to a
running simulation on an other-endian machine?

Btw, I have still not been able to convert
ftp://liposome.genebee.msu.su/pub/alanin.dcd
with the
ftp://liposome.genebee.msu.su/pub/dcd_endian.tgz
tool. The number of atoms in the NAMD-generated dcd header appears a bit
astronomic... I am now having a look at the EGO package
http://www.imo.physik.uni-muenchen.de/tavan/molgroup/ego_manual/manual.html
which promises to be able to convert its trajectories to other-endian
format.

Regards,
Eugene Leitl