From: Keith Refson (Keith.Refson_at_earth.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 05 1997 - 13:56:40 CST

Keith Refson writes:
> I have been attempting to read in some MD trajectories from an XYZ
> file, but I find that VMD is only able to read in the first 58 frames.

Aha. I have found the problem. (well nearly - but I know what it is)
VMD is reading the files in one after another, but it does not close
the previous file before opening the next.

Solaris has a run-time configurable limit on the number of
simultaneous open file descriptors. When I decreased this from 64 to
32, the number of files VMS can read also decreased - from 58 to 26.
If i was so minded I might dig into the code to find out where it does
this, but it's nearly 8pm, so not today!

I imagine the fix should be trivial.

Keith Refson

Email: Keith.Refson@  | Tel: +44 1865 272026 | Dr Keith Refson,              |
       earth.ox.ac.uk | Fax: +44 1865 272072 | Dept of Earth Sciences        |
                                             | Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PR, UK|