From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2021 - 13:18:41 CST

Hi Arthur, I'm assuming that your software has sufficiently complex
dependencies to warrant using a container. Otherwise if it is mostly
scripts that run alongside an unmodified VMD I would really suggest (A)
trying to contribute it to the VMD distribution or (B) distribute it
outside of it, which can be done in a variety of ways including the "store"
plugin suggested by Nuno.

To bypass the license issue, I would suggest instructing users to pass the
path to their own installation of VMD on the host computer, and bind-mount
the corresponding folder so that the container can see it and use it. Both
Docker and Singularity allow both features.

Optionally, if you're able to allow users to modify the container image,
you could provide them with a script that embeds VMD in the image itself.
Clearly, the container image would qualify as a "derivative work" and
subject to license restrictions for redistribution.

The VMD pre-compiled builds, although functionally limited compared to
one's own custom VMD builds, have the advantage of being very portable
across modern Linux environments (i.e. both inside and outside containers).

Giacomo