From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2021 - 12:13:47 CDT

Hi,
  I'm guessing that you've run out of open file handles, which tends
to happen at around 1000 files or so unless you're careful to prevent
this from happening by processing a limited number of files at a time
and ensuring their loading is entirely complete before continuing to
open new files.

Since there isn't a "canonical" animatedcds script in the script library,
I'm not sure exactly what your script is doing, and whether or not
it is using "waitfor all" to force loading to complete before adding
each subsequent DCD file, etc.

I'm assuming you're running on a Unix system and that you're system
is set to limit you to 1024 open file handles, e.g.:
% ulimit -n
1024

You can query other system-enforced per-process limits like this:
% ulimit -a
core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0