From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 18 2021 - 10:10:19 CDT

No, the fonts and widgets are all specified in fixed-size pixel units, this is why the
underlying GUI frameworks have to provide high-DPI support natively. The solution
taken by Apple with their "retina" displays is what the other OS/hardware vendors should
have also adopted. Apple's solution is to detect "old" existing apps that are not
intrinsically high-DPI ready, and it doubles the size of their fonts and GUI widgets
silently and automatically. Apps that are "retina aware" can choose to maintain full
control of their behavior, or get automatically scaled-up as other apps do. If we had
the same scheme available in Microsoft Windows and X-Windows, it would have been a much
smoother transition. In any case, the new versions of FLTK and Tk are working on
implementing the missing capabilities to abstract or directly support high-DPI screens,
and once they're stable, VMD will make use of them.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/