From: Stefan Boresch (stefan_at_mdy.univie.ac.at)
Date: Tue Dec 15 2020 - 14:16:56 CST

[I fully understand that you are not even getting that far.]

However, your earlier message with access issues reminded me of one
difference I noticed on Windows (compared to Linux, my normal
'habitat'). Specifically, when vmd is started via the icon (mouse
clicking) or through file association (open *.pdb with vmd), your
working directory is the install directory, and, e.g., (some) output
files (e.g. for rendering) default to that directory, to which you
(unless you are running as admin) have no write access. (This might be
the case on Linux, too, but there I start vmd practically always via
the command line in the directory I plan to work in ..)

While I work around this by starting vmd on Windows also from the
command line, this is 'fun' to explain to students who see the command line
for the first time.

Finally, I have seen vmd hang on Windows on occasion for quite some time (John provided an explanation a few weeks back here). When you get so far that vmd
does something in the powershell window, have you tried just hitting 'Enter'
and/or Ctrl-C? In most cases, vmd then starts up relatively quickly.

Best,
Stefan