From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 06 2020 - 10:55:54 CDT

Hi,
  I wanted to mention a new feature in the test builds of VMD 1.9.4,
which is a command that builds a new molecule from an arbitrary
set of selections in any number of other molecules:
  mol fromsels $sel1 $sel2 .... $selX

The main advantage of using that approach vs. others, is that the heavy
lifting is done entirely internally in VMD, thereby avoiding scripting
overheads and/or file I/O, so it's particularly good when dealing with
very large selections, large numbers of selections, and large
resulting structures.

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/