From: George Mogami (mogami-g_at_material.tohoku.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2020 - 19:44:13 CST

Dear all,

I have used VMD installed in centos 6.8 from SSH connected PC.
Some time ago, VMD became not available using X forwarding.
Following is the log of VMD start:

$ vmd
Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9.2 (December 29, 2014)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info)    Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info)    Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 28 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 127916MB (99%)
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
Info) Detected 1 available CUDA accelerator:
Info) [0] GeForce GT 710      1 SM_3.5 @ 0.95 GHz,  980MB RAM, AE1, ZCP
Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
Warning) try disabling this X server option.  Most OpenGL drivers
Warning) disable stereoscopic display when 'Composite' is enabled.
Info) OpenGL renderer: Software Rasterizer
Info)   Features: STENCIL MDE MTX NPOT PP PS
Info)   GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
Info)   Textures: 2-D (16384x16384), 3-D (512x512x512), Multitexture (8)
MobaXterm X11 proxy: unable to connect to forwarded X server: Network error: Software caused connection abort
ERROR) Tk startup error: couldn't connect to display "localhost:10.0"
X I/O error

If other process such as "xeyes" and "glxgears", I can display them normally.
In text mode, "$ vmd -dispdev text", that works well.
When I login centos workstation directly and startx, I can use VMD normally.
Then, a problem seems to be around X forwarding setting.
I tried uninstall and reinstall VMD or install of another version of VMD(1.9.3) in another directory.
However, the same error occurred as above.
How can I fix the issue?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
George