From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2019 - 23:51:48 CDT

Michael,
  In principle you can run VMD from an arbitrary directory,
but in order to do so, you'll have to set a few environment variables
externally before launching it. VMD normally locates its install
directory by querying keys from the Windows Registry. These keys
are set as part of the VMD installer, and they're used to inform
VMD where to find startup scripts, etc. I haven't tested VMD in a
non-registry-defined location for a while, but in the distant past
it used to work by locating the full path to the VMD executable,
and going from there. So, I'd recommend to just try it and see
if that mode still works under the latest revs of Windows.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/