From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2017 - 14:46:55 CDT

Hi,
  Several things can cause STRIDE not to assign a secondary structure:
- non-writable /tmp or /usr/tmp (what is your $TMPDIR set to?)
- atom names that are not recognized by STRIDE. STRIDE assumes PDB-derived
  atom names are used, and it will often fail if some atoms are unrecognized.
- coordinates are shifted very far away from the origin (thus exceeding the
  PDB file format coordinate field widths, since the PDB format is
  used to communicate with STRIDE).
- STRIDE really only understands proteins, and it may get upset about
  some unusual structures where proteins are bonded to small pieces of
  nucleic acid, or the like.
- I'm sure I've forgotten some other issues/situations that can
  upset STRIDE, these are meant to be exemplary...

You can eliminate most of the oddball issues by checking against a
structure that is known to work fine with STRIDE under normal circumstances,
and if that doesn't work, then you should see if there is an issue with
directory writability or other system-level issues that are not related
to the particular molecular system you are studying.

Cheers,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/