From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2014 - 13:41:14 CST

Hi,
  I don't know much about those two specific cards, so my answer
is based on generalities of these classes of cards.
Assuming you do not plan to do stereoscopic display, then the
GeForce option is fine given that the GeForce config you listed had
equal per-card memory capacity to the Quadro option you listed.

The ALU or "CUDA core" counts aren't always directly comparable among
cards due to clock rates, but in this case I would think they are roughly
comparable. One thing to be aware of is that your battery life will be
near-zero when running two high-end GPUs (of any kind), whereas it would
at least be tolerable when using a single GPU. If you intend to use the
laptop as a desktop replacement and will be plugged in most of the time,
then this may not be as big of an issue.
The Quadro is likely more energy efficient than the GeForce,
but that's part of the the nature of comparing a pro card vs. a
top-end gaming oriented card. Anyway, either of those options will
likely do well for you so long as you have solid drivers and there
are not other considerations (e.g. along the lines of the battery life
or power consumption issues) that would play a significant factor.

Cheers,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/