From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2013 - 05:16:30 CDT

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Mayne, Christopher G
<cmayne2_at_illinois.edu> wrote:
> Francesco,
>
> Currently ffTK does not support the parameterization of improper terms (it's on the list). It is of note; however, that there are very few cases in which improper terms are required for CGenFF (e.g. carbonyls, planar non-cyclic nitrogens). Aromatics generally do not require improper angle terms because the torsion potentials are stiff, along with the additional constraints of bonded terms within a cyclic context. It's worth taking a look through CHARMM and CGenFF parameters to see exactly there improper terms are employed and where they are not (I was surprised at how few chemical groups require them).

Hi Christopher:
Thanks a lot for your comments. I must admit that I had parm7 in mind
when I posted. I have now verified that parm7 uses impropers for
aromatics like pyridine and pyrrole, not only for their external
connections but also internally in the rings. At least as I used parm7
while waiting for the torsion calculations (some of them heavy also at
RHF/6-31G* level). But it is not my intention to confuse ideas by
comparing parm7 with charmm27.

thanks
francesco