From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2013 - 17:49:23 CDT

Hi Peter,

If you are using mutator to prepare a FEP simulation, the three letter
code won't be ASN. For FEP calculations, you want a single residue that
has both side chains present, and to alert the user to this fact, the
residues are given names using the one letter amino acid codes with a 2
indicating the direction of mutation. V2N is actually expected if you
happen to be mutating a Valine to an Asparagine, which should look
almost identical to ASN except for a methyl hanging off the mutated
residue. Since you intended to mutate a ASP to ASN, the expected resname
is actually D2N, which to me suggests you may have accidentally picked
out the wrong residue for mutation? If your protein has multiple
segments, you should also specify the proper segment name in the mutator
window (ie. if the ASP you wanted to mutate was on segment P3 and resid
423, you'd specify the residue as P3:423 in the mutator GUI), and is my
best guess as to why you are seeing unexpected results.

-Josh