From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 11:13:26 CST

Benjamin,
  Not everyone has the same experience with regard to 10.3 fixing
the performance problem. It seems to be very dependent on which graphics
chipset is in a given machine. I'm talking with people at Apple now however
and I'm giving them test code and information that should help them track
down the problem. As best I can tell, certain versions of the MacOS X
OpenGL drivers have problems with creating and destroying display lists
at a rapid pace. I've already changed the VMD source code to
significantly reduce the number of display list creations/destructions
compared with previous versions, but I am hoping that by working with the
Apple guys we can nail the performance problem in the Apple OpenGL drivers
so its no longer an issue at all.

Any idea when they'll release 10.3.1?

I appreciate your feedback, the more info we have from various people
the more I can tell the Apple guys about who is experiencing the performance
problem.

Thanks!