From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 14 2003 - 16:59:24 CDT

Miguel,
  Ok, if you've got the OpenGL version installed on your machine, try
doing these commands, and then email me the output and we'll figure out
what's going wrong:
  ldd /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX

  csh (make sure you're running in cshell..)
  source /usr/local/bin/vmd (will startup then abort as before)
  /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUX
     (will start&abort, but you'll see the error messages in your terminal...)

Let me know what happens, and send me as much error text as you can.

Thanks,