From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 14:37:27 CDT

Dear VMD-L,
  I wanted to summarize the final result on this. It should have
been obvious, but its easy to forget these things sometimes:
  VMD and MSMS have to "guess" atom radii when they are given
PDB files, since PDB files don't contain this type of information.
Sanjeev noticed that he was getting slightly different surfaces from
VMD than he got from MSMS when he ran it manually. It turns out that
VMD and MSMS make slightly different guesses for atom radii when they
are not provided this information explicitly. This is why he got different
results from the surface calculations when using MSMS from within VMD
versus running it manually. If your atom radii are important to you,
make sure you use PSF files or another structure file format which
provides VMD with the actual atom radii so it doesn't have to guess
based on the string names of the atoms.

Thanks,