From: Mikko Huhtala (mhuhtala_at_abo.fi)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 03:01:44 CDT

There was some discussion of performance dropping when the Opengl
window is enlarged to the point that it exhausts the memory on the
graphics card. My problem is that VMD actually hangs upon resizing the
Opengl window, even at small window sizes and when there are no
coordinates loaded and the window is only showing the 'VMD' logo. The
problem seems to depend on the exact size of the window: when the
window is resized in a wireframe mode (non-opaque resize; no updates
during resize), it sometimes works just fine and sometimes hangs (just
happens to hit a 'bad' size?). Unfortunately I am now using Gnome on
RH9 and the Metacity wm only does opaque resizes. Windows are updated
constantly during resize, and resizing the VMD Opengl window hangs
every time.

I'm running the 1.0-3123 version of the NVidia drivers. The card
(Geforce 3 by Creative) and the motherboard chipset are an unfortunate
combination that do not work with newer driver versions. However,
other Opengl graphics software do work on the system and I've had the
resize problem with many window managers, driver/Linux kernel versions
and VMD versions 1.7 - 1.8.1, so it seems like the bug is in
FLTK/VMD's interaction with Opengl.

Mikko