From: Michel Espinoza-Fonseca (mef_at_ddt.biochem.umn.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 25 2010 - 14:35:18 CST

Hi all,

I have a laptop running under windows 7 (2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 processor with Centrino 2) with a hybrid graphics system (Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD and NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS 256 MB chips). The NVIDIA chip has CUDA support and VMD is taking great advantage of it, something I can see when using heavy drawing modes for very big molecules. However, I also have noticed that loading a trajectory is significantly slower when I use the NVIDIA chip compared to the times when I use the Intel one. In general this situation doesn't really bother me, but I'm curious to know what might be the reason for this particular behavior.

Cheers,
Michel