From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 19 2010 - 13:50:55 CST

Irene,
  What graphics card and driver version are you using?
(what does VMD print to the console when it starts up?)
To do visualizations of high resolution electrostatic maps using
the "Color by Volume" feature of VMD, you'll need a GPU that
has a good amount of video memory, ideally 512MB or more.
I have a simple electrostatics visualization mini-tutorial
for VMD available here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/minitutorials/colorbypot/

Cheers,