From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 17 2009 - 13:38:12 CST

Rob,
  At present, the molfile API doesn't provide a means to load
time-varying volumetric data, but this is something on my long-term
TODO list. I plan to add this after we make some significant revisions
to the way volumetric data is stored and managed within VMD.
You might talk to Axel Kohlmeyer about whether you could do
an on the fly projection of the data in your abinit files into
a basis set that VMD understands and then you could use the
QM visualization functionality we've been adding into VMD for
your purposes, and the memory consumption would be a tiny fraction
of what it would be for loading a large number of explicit grids.

When I get a chance, I will look at your code closely
and send you some small corrections to a few places I saw that
needed fixing. Thanks for sharing your code.

Cheers,
  John