From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 12:24:42 CST

Rob,
  What happens if you set the environment variable VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS
before you run VMD? This sould prevent VMD from using some of the
more sophisticated OpenGL features which may be triggering a bug
in your graphics driver. If that cures the problem for you, then
you're going to want to seek out a better graphics driver than
the one you're using. Often times updating to a newer driver will
solve this sort of problem, but you may even want to try using an
older driver if the latest driver version doesn't cure the problem
without needing to use the VMDSIMPLEGRAPHICS workaround.

Cheers,