From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 02 2009 - 13:54:09 CST

Hi,
  Yes. If you color by a time-varying property, it will
work as expected when making a movie. You can do this using
one of the per-atom, per-timestep "user" fields, or by using
scripting callbacks to update one of the non-time-varying fields
right before each redraw. These are both covered within VMD tutorials,
I think there are some particularly nice examples in Axel's CPMD/VMD
tutorial, see the PDF version he's posted here:
  http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/redirect

Cheers,