From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 23 2009 - 09:56:47 CDT

Hi,
  Can you send me the startup output from your VMD session?
This sounds to me like some kind of memory corruption problem.
Since the VMD materials send state updates to the graphics driver,
this may be some bizarre form of memory corruption occuring due to a
buggy driver. It works fine for me and for many others of course, so
if you could provide the startup info from your system, that may help me
narrow in on the potential cause. What graphics driver version are you
running?

Cheers,