From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 19 2009 - 13:29:20 CDT

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 11:44 -0600, Ronald Salesky wrote:
> Hi,

hi ron,

> I'm running a namd2 simulation under WinXP which

have you considered posting a question about NAMD
to the NAMD mailing list instead of the VMD mailing list?

> terminates unexpectedly after running about 5 minutes.
> There is nothing written in the .log file describing the
> error, but the message under the cmd line is 'could not
> malloc()-- are we out memory?'.

please note the existence of the question mark.
this message means, that a request to reserve
memory failed. this may be due to the fact that
no reservable memory is available, or that an
illegal request was made. i don't know any details
about what type of binary (32-bit or 64-bit)
you have, but my guess is that it is a 32-bit
binary and in that case your total address space
is limited (probably to about 1GB and change)
and that can make NAMD fail in case you try
something that is not within that limit.

> What's curious is observing the performance tab on the
> windows task manager shows physical memory available never
> goes below about 3.6 GB even just before the crash. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thank you for any help or insight the VMD community can
> suggest.

unless you provide a method for people to reproduce
this, there is very little insight to suggest.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com
College of Science and Technology