From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 23 2009 - 21:32:18 CDT

Hi Carolyn,
  Does this occur repeatably, every single time, or is it intermittent?
(I have no mac to test on at home)

I didn't change anything Mac-specific in the VMD startup code for
VMD 1.8.7, but there seem to be a few intermittent GUI event handling
issues associated with Tcl/Tk 8.5.6 that have cropped up that affect
VMD. I'm wondering if this is one of those, or if it's something
entirely different.

Do you get the same behavior if you change your working directory
to "/Applications/VMD\ 1.8.7.app/Contents/vmd/" and then run it with
./vmd_MACOSXX86 or does it behave in the same way? (I'm wondering
about shared library dependencies being an issue...)

Run those tests and let me know what you find. Depending on the
results, I may have ideas for workarounds for you.

Cheers,
  John Stone
  johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu