From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 14:27:54 CST

Dear Ioana,
  IMD simulations are a bit different from normal VMD operations.
VMD doesn't execute "force" commands when it communicates with the
running simulation. The current implementation allows you to store
the received simulation timesteps as they come in to VMD, but I've
forgotten if we have a Tcl queryable method for retrieving the forces
applied to the atoms over time. At present I'm thinking we don't,
but this is something that could probably be added if it is important
to you. In an old version of VMD we had code that wrote forces to a text
file, but that's long since been eliminated if I recall correctly.

If you just want to apply forces in a simulation, on different structures,
perhaps Tcl forces in NAMD are more what you need rather than recording
interactive forces in VMD? I'll CC this email to the NAMD team in case
they have any suggestions on this.

Thanks,