From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 03:30:48 CDT

Hi,
  I've posted a test version of VMD 1.8.7 (alpha 62) for
all of the mainstream platforms including MacOS X, Linux,
Solaris, and Windows. Feedback on these test builds is
appreciated. Very soon I'll begin making beta versions
of VMD 1.8.7, but since there are a massive number of changes
to this version of VMD, I expect the final release to take
several more weeks yes, also depending on the feedback that
I get from early testers. I'm still finishing a few incomplete
features as well.

The test versions are currently available in the VMD public
project on biocore, as described here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

Cheers,