From: Thomas Evangelidis (te8624_at_mbg.duth.gr)
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 01:11:30 CDT

Hi,

I had problems running vmd-1.8.7a55 on KUbuntu 8.10 for several days.
I always got the error message "Illegal variable name." when trying to
execute the setup vmd script. But the most bizarre was that I could
run vmd on Kubuntu 7.10, so I notice that when starting up in Kubuntu
7.10 a message was saying that rlwrap was missing. Hence I uninstalled
rlwrap from Kubuntu 8.10 and finally made it work.
I then tried to download rlwrap source code and compile it but the
problem persisted. Since in Fedora 10 rlwrap works fine I concluded
that there must be a bug connected to rlwrap in ubuntu, which I think
vmd developer would be able to spot.

thanks,
Tom