From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2009 - 15:41:18 CST

Thomas,
  The 'element' field in VMD is populated only by PDBs that contain
atomic element symbol text on the right hand side of the ATOM records.
PDB files that don't contain element info aren't automatically
"guessed" at present, so they are assigned as element "X".
You can write atom selections to either fix them manually, or
you could load PDB files that have the atomic element info on them.

Cheers,